Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Perception is Everything

     Everything we see or do is subject to different perceptions. A lot is based on our background. What one person reads into something might not be what I read into it. It is important to always remember that perception is important and give people the benefit of the doubt and find out what they perceived.

     I recently saw a meme on Facebook that I shared however it offended someone. I did not find it at all offensive because I perceived it differently. However a wonderful friend of mine saw the same meme on another persons wall and had a different perception than I did. He explained it respectfully and thoughtfully making me see it in a different light. 

     The meme read: When this is over, let's remember that it wasn't the CEO's or the billionaires who saved us. It was the janitors, nurses, grocery and food workers.

     When I first saw this meme all I saw was finally someone was showing appreciation to those who are always taken for granted or looked down on. So many people look down on janitors, servers (unless in a high scale restaurant), food service workers and other people in service type professions.  I mean who goes to Disneyland and thanks the custodians for the wonderful work they do? Well except for me. I also thank those who keep the restrooms clean for all of us. When I do they are so appreciative and tell me that no one ever thanks them and they appreciate it so much. So I saw this meme in that same manner. As a way to say I appreciate them and all they do!! 

    My wonderful  friend saw it in a different way and posted his thoughts on his own wall. He said that without the CEO's and billionaires we wouldn't have some of the other professions. Or something like that. Mostly he said we need to appreciate both. 

     I do agree that we need to appreciate both but I still feel like many people look at the billionaires and CEO's as heroes or idols of sorts. I have heard many people tell their kids to do well in school so they can have a good profession. That is well and good and we should all strive for the best, strive to be successful but that might look different to some people. To some people being a janitor is successful and something they want to do. There is nothing wrong with that! 

     I have heard parents say to their kids "You don't want to grow up and flip burgers do you?" in a derogatory tone. People should tell their kids they will be proud of them no matter what they do as long as their are successful and have happy lives. Many people look down on the service profession so I perceived the meme as an appreciation to them, I did not see it as a negative to the billionaires and CEO's. They get plenty of glory and people look up to them so I did not even consider them when I read the post. 

    But after reading my friends post I saw that the meme might look different to one person than it did to me. It was another instance that showed me how different we all perceive things and how important is to respect that fact. The meme to me now is just divisive and I would not share it again because I perceive it in a different light. All roles are important! 





No comments:

Post a Comment