Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Corona Virus Knee Jerk Reaction: The Importance of Avoiding Knee Jerk Reactions and Changing How You React to and Handle Difficult Situations

     Recently I read a news article that San Francisco was ordering its citizens to only go out for necessities and emergencies. The article I read stated that they could be charged with a misdemeanor for violating this order.
"Police Chief Bill Scott said at the press conference that violations of the order are punishable by a misdemeanor, but “that is an absolute last resort.” 
I read this and instantly put a post on Facebook stating that they were becoming the new Russia and they were becoming a police state. This was a knee jerk reaction. Knee Jerk reactions most always have negative consequences! 

     I have worked hard to make it a rule to never post anything political on my Facebook wall because I do not want to get into politics there. It is not why I am there. I also work hard to never post things when I am emotional....emotional words spoken or typed can cause hurt to others....But my emotions got the best of me and I spewed. The consequences of this was upsetting a very good friend. That made me very sad! I am sorry for it and do not know really how to undo the damage.... 

    Were my comments my belief?  Really not important, not something to put out on Facebook and for sure not something to react to emotionally. I cannot change anything by reacting emotionally.

    These are hard times we are in right now, I am extremely worried about our economy, about the people I know and love without essential supplies because others have taken more than they will ever need in their lifetime. (those who prepared are not the guilty parties, those who hoarded are). I am worried about the elderly or people on fixed income who were not able to get to the stores before the hoarding began. Many could go hungry because they can only afford to buy food once a month but when they went to buy their food supply, none was to be found...that worries me.  I am also very worried about those I love who have lost their jobs and might become homeless because of it. I am worried we will never recover economically from the fallout.....those are the things that scare me...but letting my emotions get the best of me is not the answer, that will not help anyone!

    How do I stop the worry? I don't! However,  I deal with it in a positive way by helping who I can and not letting my emotions guide me. 

    How to fix that I put that emotional statement out on Facebook? It can't really be fixed because it is out there...so all I can do is move forward and remember to think before I speak or type...to act with reason, not my emotions!  I know this and practice it most all of the time....but there are times my emotions get the best of me.

    I was going to post the link to the article that prompted my knee jerk reaction but this is not about that article or what was in it, it is about how I reacted emotionally to it and the importance of reacting positively.

    Do I still feel that way I did when I ran on my emotions? Not important....How I feel will not help anyone. Things are as they are, there is nothing I can do to change them. I can  however change how I react to them. It is a part of the growth mindset which I forgot until I took a professional development refresher class for work today. 

    Yes these are very difficult times! They are hard on all of us. Some will have it harder than others but a negative mindset will only make it harder. This is a time to be as positive as possible, to stick together emotionally, to think of ways you can help those who might have it harder than you and to mentally lift each other up!  If you can't help others monetarily you can help them by praying or having a positive attitude. This is my goal as we go through these difficult times. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment