Saturday, January 23, 2016

Multitasking: Something's Always Left Undone

     I am a multi tasker-I can make dinner, clean house, write and used to even help kids with homework-all at the same time. Sometimes I can't physically do all of those things at the same time however my mind is constantly multi-tasking. For instance as I write this blog I am thinking of all the other things I need to be doing. This ability can be extremely helpful and also mentally frustrating.

     When my kids were younger I worked and was attending college online so I had to cook, help them with their work, complete my school assignments and clean house all at the same time. Yes it is possible to do all of those things at the same time. You simply start dinner, have the computer  logged into the classroom , the kids at the table and dust rag in hand. When there is a break during meal prep you work on an assignment while answering kids questions. Before going in to check on the meal, you dust a thing or two.

     Even when I am not physically able to do all of these things at the same time, for instance a meal requires that I stir the food or complete each task before moving to another, I am still thinking of all the things I need to do.

     This is one of the downsides, I have to keep a paper and pen nearby to jot down what my mind is thinking so that I don't forget what is next. It is very frustrating and stressful at times because my mind seems to always be on "what's next" instead of "what's now." It isn't something I do on purpose, it just comes naturally to be that way. I am writing this blog and thinking about cleaning my house at the same time. I know I can't physically do both at the same time so my body feels stressed out much of the time. I guess maybe that is where the saying "I wish there were two of me." comes into play. I wish there were ten of me so I could accomplish all that I need to and all that my mind is thinking about.

     I think the ability to multi task is wonderful, I love being able to focus on more than one task at a time  and to accomplish several things
at the same time. However it is also very hard, I always feel unaccomplished and like there's something I need to do. I am never truly able to relax and feel accomplished because in my mind there is always something left undone.

   

4 comments:

  1. Apparently, women are better are multitasking than men. Some guys can't walk and chew gum at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that men struggle multi tasking. I kind of wish I couldn't do it...

      Delete
  2. I have the same problem. I have decided to live with the fact that I will never get it all down. Now I do what I can and accept my limitations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting better at accepting my limitations but some days I try to do it all...

      Delete