Sunday, February 5, 2017

Taking in a Homeless Person is as Dangerous as Picking up a Hitchhiker

     The other day I saw  conversations by many people discussing how they have taken in a homeless person in the past. This made me start to think about the safety of this act of kindness and how it is no different than picking up a hitchhiker. Many people will not pick up hitchhikers because they fear that the person will harm them. It is the same when bringing someone into your home, that person could also be dangerous.

     Many years ago before all of the fear about picking up hitchhikers  my aunt felt kind and picked up a man to give him a ride. Well this was a dangerous act of kindness. The man pulled a knife on my aunt causing her to wreck her vehicle.

     Around 30 years ago my dad met a man who was homeless. He felt sorry for the man so he bought him to our home. My mom was not happy about my dad bringing a stranger into our home but my dad said it was perfectly fine. The man was given a comfortable bed, warm meals and a roof over his head. How did he repay this act of kindness? He stole my dads car. I don't remember the details because it was so long ago but we did find the car. We were lucky that is all the man did.

     People think they are being kind when they take in a homeless person but I imagine most of the same people would not pick up a hitchhiker. So what is the difference? You know nothing about the person, the person could be a mass murderer or rapist. They might be homeless because they are dangerous. You don't know  the history of the person if you don't know them. The only difference between picking up a hitchhiker and taking in a homeless person is that you bring the homeless into your home, not just your car. You fall to sleep at night with a stranger in your home taking the chance this person might be extremely dangerous. You not only put yourself in danger but your family too.

     This issue has nothing to do with helping the homeless, it has to do with safety. The dangers of taking in strangers either in your car or in your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment