Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Drunk Man Missed Daughtry

     My post about New Year's Eve drunkenness made me think of this drunk guy i sat next to when I went to see Cavo, Lifehouse and Daughtry in Salt Lake City, Utah.

    Back in 2010 my sons and I went to see Lifehouse and Daughtry in Salt Lake City. Cavo was there too but we did not know that until the show started. I believe were were at the E Center.  Well they serve alcohol at this event and many people were purchasing their drinks before and during the show. From what I could see there were no limits on the number of drinks you could buy.

     Next to me sat this young man, around 22 or 23 years old I believe. He and his girlfriend each had a beer and they were very friendly. Before the concert began he told me how excited he was to see Daughtry. He said that he had come to the concert just to see them. He was so excited, he was like a kid in a candy store. I was excited for him too because we were also excited to see Lifehouse and Daughtry was a bonus. We had bought our tickets to see Lifehouse.

     By the time Cavo came on, they were first, the young man and his girlfriend had downed one beer and went to get another. These were large mugs of beer mind you. They were having fun watching the concert and when Cavo was done he turned to me and told me how excited he was for Daughtry again. I could see that thrill in his eyes and hear it in his voice.

     Before Lifehouse came on the couple had another beer and during Lifehouse's set I lost count on the times they left to get beer. Lifehouse was done and it was time for Daughtry to set up. I could tell the man was very drunk by this time. He was extremely foul mouthed and very obnoxious.

     Finally the band he had been waiting to see was on. Even though I wanted to punch him because he was so annoying I felt excited for him to finally see the band he had come to see. I believe he had driven a long ways for this concert just like us and so that moment had finally arrived. The lights came up, Daughtry took the stage and everyone was cheering. I looked over at the young man to see if he was as excited as I knew he would be and he was not excited, he was dazed and then before I knew it he was sound asleep. He had passed out cold.

     I will never forget that young man who traveled to see one of his favorite bands getting so drunk that he missed the band he came to see. It made me sad for him that drinking was more important. I wondered how many other things he missed in life for the "pleasure" of being drunk. I thoroughly
enjoyed the concert and so did my kids, we will be able to tell about it for years to come. That young man can only say that he was there and more's the pity for him.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment